Sunday, October 23, 2005

Mumbai->Singapore->Bangkok->Tokyo

My first flight abroad... so much to say...

First did the baggage check in and of course as expected my bag was overwgt!!! I had to shift 2 kgs from my luggage to hand baggage and ended up having a 10 kg bag!!!

As I was waiting in the lounge I heard a guy talking on the phone in Konkani so went n spoke to him n was really relieved to meet him! He turned out to be from Goa, GEC(the other engineering college) from our batch. Then we boarded the flight to Singapore n I had 2 doctors sitting next tome. Nice guys! We chatted for sometime n I watched movies for most of the flight! Also played a few games. I had a fruit spritzer n lots of juices. The lunch they served was great. It was chicken with boiled potatoes n other vegetables in some sauce. (similar to sizzler) real tasty! Plus the desert for this meal was chocolate cake!!!! That was actually what helped me choose my lunch ;)

Finally after 5 long hrs we reached Singapore! Wow wat a view I had from the flight! Beautiful!!! Just beautiful! All the lights on in the city, I cud see the roads, bridges, rivers clearly! It was gr8. then finally we landed n at first the airport was confusing but thankfully Pranab was there n I roamed a little, called home n then back to lounge. We boarded the next flight where I was served the Indian veg meal (ivml). This was good too... then we flew to Bangkok where we reached in 2 hrs! There was no need to get off but since I was getting a chance to see another airport, y wud I not n specially when I had company and hence no chance of getting lost! So saw this airport tooo... not as good as the Singapore one. Singapore one is more like a mall !!! U know in the flight I cud have made phone calls but then the call rate showed US $5.6 for 1st 1 min and then 5 cent per 6 secs!!!! So I chose to forget it!!!!

From Bangkok flew for 6 long hrs to Tokyo, had 1 uncle next to me who irritated me a lot! So many Qs he asked n gave his card n all asking me to b in touch! I m never going to call that fellow! Also here again I was served, what they called supper! I was so startled at the idea of having another meal that I refused it and the stewardess looked so shocked that I thought I had done a crime! I just accepted it quietly and ate as much as I could. Finally I just slept for 2 hrs in my journey before I reached Tokyo. They even gave me a tooth brush n paste on the flight! Wow!

When in Tokyo, I got to see Mount Fuji as we flew over, n it was one hell of a thing to c! just tooooo good! A huge mountain, with a cap of ice, just as we see in pictures. It was fabulous. I decided then and there, I am gonna visit it soon. Then finally we landed n I got off the flight. I was too tired to feel anything much n everywhere as I got off the flight I had to carry that 10 kgs ka hand baggage! That was too much. My arms r still painin! Then as I disembarked, had to fill all the forms n get the immigration check done. First time I realized I was a foreigner!

Well finally after 1 hr of standing in the immigration check line n getting it done, went ahead for my luggage. N I was on my way looking for a phone booth n bus ticket counter. I did find a wending machine, wending out calling cards n bought one too but never ended up using it! Just cud not, she said all instructions in Japanese!!!!! Well then bought my ticket to the limousine (as the airport buses are called) I had to pay 3000 Y for a 1.5 hr journey! N another 1540 Y for a taxi to home from the station where the bus stopped!!! I got off the bus n was lost. Could not see Salini in sight n didn't know wat to do... I felt really lost in a strange country, more and more the realisation was sinking in that I was away from home... far away! I crossed the road n then met her! Dont think had felt more relieved than at that moment. Well the trip form airport to Tokyo was uneventfull, was too tired to notice much. But still remember the numerous huge never ending flyovers, subways thro' which we drove. The huge sky scapers... it was very different. Btw here it is the right hand drive just like India! N the limousine is a proper fundu, Volvo bus which just glides over the smooth roads!


Finally I was home!!! Salini led me up a flight of stairs to the first floor n then told me to wait with bated breath as she opened the door. 

My 'room' upstairs 
Well, I entered n that was the end of it!!! That was the flat! It ends before it starts! But it has everything one wud need! Everything, u name it n its there. Imagine later in the day I tried to plug in my laptop but cud not do so as it has a 3-pin n here all sockets have 2 pin n believe it or not but 3 to 2 pin converter was lying in the cupboard!!! We have furnishings as in a sofa, 1 shoe cupboard, 2 wardrobes, 3 cupboards for kitchen. All appliances like vaccum cleaner, mixie, oven, otg, electric cooker, fridge, tv, cassette+cd player, video, ac... all! Imagine we have crockery + cutlery + utensils!!! All things. Hangers toooo for clothes! N I have a wonderful room, you really need to see it. It has just a nice thick, soft bed with a warm quilt plus blanket. Its too good! 

Then for bfast we had dosa with chutney. Lunch was rice, curd, prawn pickle, mixed vegetable( ready-to-eat) and dinner was chapattis and aloo matar plus of course prawn pickle. All I did here was unpacked everything n put it in the cupboards. Then chatted with salini for hrs n finally slept at 5 in evening with plans of getting up at 6 to go around closeby but I slept so soundfully that finally got up only at 10 for dinner!!! N then till 3:00 am at night was sitting n typing out a mail!!! As sleep is the last thing on my mind!!! I m sure gonna sleep in office! 

No comments:

Post a Comment