Tuesday, October 25, 2005

An Adventurous Day!

I had to make my train pass and that too using a mani achine. We chose the English option and started putting in the details but got confused at the route! We chose one option n the cost of the monthly pass came out to be 20,000 Y!!! So we cancelled. We realize we had to try till we get the figure to b 11,530. That’s wat Salini’s pass had cost! But then we had a nice lady who chose to help us. She hardly understood English so it was tough communicating but somehow we discussed and got my pass done! N imagine the lady spent ½ hr just getting my pass done for me!!!!! That’s helpfulness to the utmost extent!

On my second day itself I took my lunch to office. It had rice and prawn pickle given by ayee. Then on the way we bought curd and took it to office. In office we kept it in the fridge and then at lunch time heated the rice in the microwave. Dont remember making use of such luxuries before; in office that is. The pantry is real nice n lot of stuff is kept there. Coffee machine with decaf & coffee. Lots of teas – hibiscus tea n wat not varieties! Even lot of canned drinks (paid ones) to be bought from vending machines ;).

After another days work it was time to go home. Salini had to stay so I just thot, y not go home on my own. She tried to talk me out of it but I thot it wud be one adventure n indeed it turned out to be one! I had to travel from Roppongi -> Ebisu -> Shinjuku -> Nakano. I cooly walked to the metro and took the train. I knew Ebisu was the 2nd station so got off but there I could not see the Yamanote Line board. The line tells the track!!! So I realized I was lost. Now I was standing there all lost wondering wat to do. So I asked one guy, he pulled out his mobile, getting all the list of routes on it n explained to me the way to Shinjuku. One thing about the Japanese, they are very very helpful. They will go out of their way to help and this I experienced 2 times in 1 day!

But even after listening to him I didn’t really follow it. I stopped to check the map there and realized I had taken the train in exactly the opposite direction from office. I should have gone north but I took the train to south. So instead of stepping out of station and takin local as suggested. I took the next metro back in the direction from where I had come n luckily the gamble payed off. I was at Ebisu. Then the next 2 trains I took correctly n reached Nakano. Though I had to wander on the station to ensure the correctness of the train I was taking!

Finally at Nakano I got out of the station on the wrong side!!!!! Another mishap. Now I cud not figure the way at all! All I knew was I need to take the Nakano Broadway to reach home. I looked around and saw some policemen standing so decided to ask them the way. They cud hardly understand me! No English u c!!! but somehow they told me the way n then asked me for n identity card! Now that’s something I didn’t have!!! I showed them my Office ID card but that does not have my photo as yet!!!! Almost 5 of them there were trying to explain n ask me for card n I was trying to explain that I have applied for ARC but no use. So there I was in a soup n guess wat……… I visited the police station!!! But all along they were very soft spoken n polite. I of course was nervous when taken there but then I decided I ll just call up one of my office guys out here! There 1 officer knew bit of English, better than the rest n I was so excited meeting him!!! Then we both spoke n got things straight! I had 1 identification – my Indian driving licence!!!! He finally let me go telling me to carry my passport along all the time till I get my ARC! N at the end they were even more helpful; started explaining the way so that I don’t get lost. One guy even drew it out for me!!!

Finally I was home in 1 and a half hour while actually it shud take me just 45 mins! Anyways another day – rather adventurous day!!!!! Hope to have many such more!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment